Free Waves and Seashells Boot Cuff Pattern

My computer crashed last week and I still haven’t gotten it back yet, but thanks to my wonderful sister-in-law I have use of a loaner. I had to reconstruct this boot cuff and rewrite the pattern because all my information was on the other computer. It has certainly been a task but finally got it completed!

I worked this project using two different types of yarn. I enjoy using I Love this Yarn because it is soft and comes together nicely but wanted to try something new. I love the Cascade yarn too because it gives the cuff an even softer feel (because it is cotton) and is much thinner in comparison to the acrylic yarn. I like this because some of my boots have a snug fit and the cotton is a better fit.

Free Waves and Shell Boot Cuff pattern by ELK Studio

This the is cuff made from I Love this Yarn.

Free Waves and Shell Boot Cuff pattern by ELK Studio Free Waves and Shell Boot Cuff pattern by ELK StudioThis is the cuff made from the 100% Cascade Yarn.

Here is the free pattern:

Supplies:

1. I used I LoveThis Yarn medium (4) worsted weight.  The color I used was ivory.
  2. Crochet Hook Size – H
  3. Tapestry needle for weaving in the ends.

Gauge:  8 stitches and 3 Rows  = approximately 2 inches.

Supplies:

1. Cascade Ultra Pima – 100% pima cotton.  The color I used was cream.
  2. Crochet Hook Size – G
  3. Tapestry needle for weaving in the ends.

Gauge:  8 stitches and 4 rows = approximately 2 inches.

I was pleased with the width of the cuff, but did need to increase the number of rows worked in comparison to the acrylic cuff to fit my calf.

Special Directions:  sctog, fpdc, bpdc

sctog – Sc in next st, draw through only one loop (2 loops left on the hook), sc in next st and draw through remaining 3 loops.

fpdc – YO, insert hook from front to back around the post of next st, YO and pull up a loop and complete as a dc.

bpdc – YO, insert hook from back to front around the post of next st, YO and pull up a loop and complete as a dc.

Abbreviations:

ch – chain

st – stitches

sc – single crochet

hdc – half double crochet

dc – double crochet

sl st – slip stitch

YO – yarn over

sctog – single crochet 2 together (see special instructions)

fpdc – front post double crochet (see special instructions)

bpdc – back post double crochet (see special instructions)

Top Portion of Boot Cuff

Ch 15

Row 1:  dc in third ch from hook and in next 3 ch, skip 2 chains, (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in next ch, skip 2 chains, dc in next 4 ch, ch 3 turn.  (13 st) (ch3 counts as first dc here and throughout)

Row 2:  bpdc in next 3 dc, skip next 2 dc, (2dc, ch1, 2 dc)  in ch 1 space, bpdc in next 3 dc, dc in top of ch 3, ch 3 turn. (13 st)

Row 3:  fpdc in next 3 dc, skip next 2 dc, (2dc, ch1, 2 dc)  in ch 1 space, fpdc in next 3 dc, dc in top of ch 3, ch 3 turn. (13 st)

Repeat rows 2 and 3 until the desired measurement ending with row 3.  Fasten off leaving a long tail.

Turn pattern wrong side out and join ends together using the long tail and take the side just fastened off using the tapestry needle to sew through both loops of the stitch and the bottom loop of each stitch on the first row.  Fasten off and weave in the ends.  Turn pattern right side in before working the bottom part of the cuff.

Bottom Portion of Boot Cuff

Row 1:  Join to cuff by ch 1 and sc evenly around, sl st into first sc (not the ch 1).  (Hint)  You will later be decreasing stitches so be sure that your stitches will divide by 4 evenly then add two more sc.  (Example:  Sc 44 stitches plus 2=46 stitches around.)  46 will actually be a good number to use on the average size cuff.

Row 2:  ch 2, dc in next dc and around,  Sl st in top of ch 2 st.

Row 3:  ch 1 and sc in same sp, sc in next st and around, sl st in first sc.

Row 4:  ch 2, dc in next dc and around,  Sl st in top of ch 2 st.

Row 5:  ch 1 and sc in same sp, sc in next st and around, sl st in first sc.

Row 6:  ch 2, dc in next dc and around,  Sl st in top of ch 2 st.

Row 7:  ch 1 and sc in same space, sc in next 3 dc, *sctog in next sc, sc in next 3 dc, sctog in next dc*, repeat from * to * across, sl st in first sc.

Row 8:  ch 2 and hdc in next stitch and around, sl stitch in top of ch 2 st.

Row 9:  ch 1 and sc in same sp, sc in next stitch and around, sl stitch in first sc.  Fasten off and weave in ends.

Add buttons if desired.

Please feel free to make or sell products from this pattern!  I believe in free enterprise but just ask to link back to my site.  Please do not copy this pattern as your own.  Please do not re-publish photos as your own.  You can also follow me on my ELK Studio Facebook page for updates of upcoming pattern releases!

Print Friendly

Comments

1. Danielle says

I think I figured out how you achieved the wavy pattern. When making the front or back post dc, instead of wrapping the yarn around the post, you start off putting it around the post and then pulling the loop through the top of the Y of the post. I can post pictures, but I got the same wavy pattern that way. The first time around I did it the correct way and the lines were just straight up and down.

• says

Laurie,

You are correct. Crochet your first round as normal and when you come to the second round, you will dc, ch 1, dc in the ch 1 space from the previous round. Let me know if you need any other help.

Kathy

2. says

One last question: At the end of the Rnd 3, before joining the ends, do you still ch 3? I’m thinking not.
    Please let me know. I’m going to put off joining until I hear back. For now, I’ll just start the 2nd boot cuff top.
    Cheers

3. says

On another note, the first 7 rows do not buckle or curl, but starting with row 8 and every row after that the rows are curling on the edges of the bp and fpdc. I tried making the stitches looser but the result is the same, I wonder if the yarn strands are turning and that could be causing that effect. Weird. (you don’t have to post this, just a private comment to you, you can reply via email if you want.)

4. says

Okie-dokie… after playing around with this for a few hours, I finally figured out what was wrong. The cotton yarn I am using is just not adequate for this pattern. I am going to change to a different yarn and see if that makes the difference. Sorry if I was too hasty in pronouncing judgment. I’ll let you know how it goes and try to post a photo to the facebook page when they are done!!!

• Kathy Lashley says

I hope changing yarns helped. I’ll also say that I’m left-handed and crochet from back to front. It normally doesn’t cause a problem, but I’m almost thinking it does with the pattern. When I crochet the fpdc stitches, I do them “normal” as in front to back but then I do the bpdc stitches from back to front. I’m thinking this is causing a bias with the pattern. Let me know how it works out.

Kathy

• says

Kathy,
        I found that as long as you are consistently changing between bpdc and fpdc the work should end up looking right. If you mess up and inadvertently do two rows of either in a row, your work will look caddy-whumpus. I don’t think that right or left-handed crocheting should make a big deal as long as you are doing the stitches correctly. I think you BPDC is my FPDC and vice versa. Anyway, I changed yarns and am still not happy as I am using a mohair yarn. It is nice but still not looking as clean in the pattern as it would with a non-hairy yarn. I am buying some of the I LOVE THIS YARN which you recommend so I’ll let you know how it goes. I’ve come back to finish off the top part of the work and start on the bottom part of the cuff. I’ll be sure to send you photos or post them to facebook when I’m done. Once I use the yarn you did, if there’s a difference in the result, we can make a deal: You make me a pair using left-handed crochet and I’ll make you a pair using right-handed crochet. :-D

5. says

I have just completed the first 8 rounds of my boot cuff and I am a bit confused.
    Either I am doing something wrong (following pattern to the letter) or this pattern is just NOT the one that matches the boot cuff pictured here. I see zero shells in the boot cuff pictured above. What is wrong?

6. tiffany says

I have crocheted one boot cuff so far and I am also not achieving the zig zag look on the top of the cuff that yours has and also getting the curling of the edges as some others have posted? Unsure what I could do differently to get the zig zag affect?

• says

Tiffany,

I am beginning to believe this is due to me being left-handed and the way I crochet.

Under normal circumstances, I crochet “backwards” meaning back to front. However, when I crochet fpdc and bpdc I crochet from front to back.

When I wrote this pattern over a year ago, I didn’t think my way of crocheting and being left-handed would affect the pattern.

I will update the pattern later this evening to give this as a possibility of not achieving the same results.

Thanks.

Kathy

• Kim says

I love the look of these & I’m anxious to try them. I’m a lefty; is this the left- or right-handed pattern posted here?

• Darcy says

Hi! I am left handed and was having the same problem with not getting the waves. I have straight lines. After reading through the comments and not getting any help, I carefully read the pattern. The problem we are all having with the waves is that instead of doing the fpdc or bpdc by hooking around the post of the NEXT stitch, we are hooking around the post of the stitch directly below it. This is likely what is also causing the curling on the edges. I am finishing the pair I began doing it the wrong way because I like the wrong result too lol. However I am going to crochet the pattern the right way next! Thank you for the pattern.

• says

Chandra,

I didn’t set a standard size for these cuffs as everyone’s body shape can be different. It’s so different from making a hat where everyone at different age groups relatively have a similar size.

I can try to find a standard measurement chart for you but I can’t be sure. In the meantime, maybe you could get someone to secretly measure around her boot and take away a couple of inches. :-)

Kathy

7. Tammy says

I do NOT get the same “look” as yours, with the fpdc’s on right side & bpdc’s on the wrong side. Your fpdc’s & bpdc’s produce a zig-zagging (uphill, & downhill result, which I “wanted”, but can NOT obtain! Mine go “straight” up (“across” when turned to the left to wrap around the leg.) AND, mine ARE curling (at the sides, before adding the bottom, like another person said their’s were doing also. I can send pictures showing this. I’ve been crocheting since I was 7, so 56 yrs. I’m also a licensed, certified knit & crochet instructor through the craft yarn council, write my own patterns, & have won awards, so I don’t know “why” my work doesn’t look like yours. Please help.

8. Lisa L says

Im lost at this part..Turn pattern wrong side out and join ends together using the long tail and take the side just fastened off using the tapestry needle to sew through both loops of the stitch and the bottom loop of each stitch on the first row. Fasten off and weave in the ends. Turn pattern right side in before working the bottom part of the cuff. I get the beginning on joining the ends, its the rest I dont understand.

• says

It’s like taking a shirt and turning it inside out. You have a right side to the pattern and a wrong side. When you sew your ends together, make sure the “wrong side” is out, so that when you sew it together, you can turn it back to the “right” side and your seam will be nice and neat and then finish with the lower portion of the cuff.

With the ends of the cuff together, insert the needle into both loops of the row just completed and then into the bottom portion of the first row of the cuff.

If you still are having problem, let me know.

Kathy

9. Heatherly says

How wonderful you are!! I make some sort of homemade “fashion” item for about 10 girls/ladies each year…..and this year it will be these. I was inspired by my neighbor who’s dad :-) made her a pair. But they were just a little plain for my my taste. So very excited about this pattern. Going to make a red Christmas pair for myself to wear to the theater on Saturday to see ‘A Christmas Carol’. If all goes well, this will be my official gift this year :-) You are so wonderful to share this with such a giving heart. Thank you!!!!

10. says

Thank you for posting these for free. I am making sets for the teen girls for christmas! I’m using a slightly thicker yarn, and an H hook because I wanted them more “full”. I like the way they look, but the top and bottom seem to curl. Could that be because of my larger hook/yarn or does the top and bottom sections curl for everyone?

Trackbacks