Here we are to finish the edging of our beautiful Soft Pebble Shawl in the 2nd project of the 2018 Christmas Present CAL. I think you’ll see that it’s a pretty edging but still simple enough not to take away from the beauty of the body of the shawl.
This design combined with the yarn really makes for an incredible accessory to a Christmas party or an elegant evening dinner party. The sparkle really helps to set off the design and add exactly enough “fun” to turn the heads of everyone.
- Shawl in a Cake by Lion Brand, # 4 weight yarn, 481 yards/150 grams, 61% cotton, 34% acrylic, 5% other, colorway: Namaste (2 cakes)
- G Hook/4.0mm
- Tapestry Needle
Finished Measurements: 77″ x 18″
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
sc – single crochet
sp(s) – space(s)
tr – treble
Picot: ch 3, insert hook in first ch, YO, pull through both loops on hook.
- Ch 1 is not considered the first sc in the row.
- Ch 3 is considered the first dc in the row. You can use the alternative st if you want to try it out.
- Ch 4 is considered the first tr in the row.
- Ch 6 is considered the first tr and ch-2 in the row.
- Multiples of 4 plus 2
- You will need appoximately 40 grams of yarn remaining in your second skein to complete the edging. I did not crochet a single crochet edging along the sides of the project because I felt it would take away from the design element. You can choose to do so if you desire.
Don’t forget you can catch up on all the Christmas Present CAL projects on the MAIN PAGE!
After completing your last row, turn your work, begin Row 1 of the edging. Once you have completed this side of the edging. Fasten off. Weave in the ends. Turn your work with wrong side facing, join by sl st to row 1 then begin the instructions below.
Row 1: Ch 1, sc in first st, *3 sc in ch-5 sp, sc in next st, repeat from * across, turn.
Row 2: Ch 3, dc in next st and each rem st across, turn.
Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first st, *ch 3, skip next 4 sts, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next st, ch 3, skip next 4 sts, sc in next st, repeat from * across, turn.
Row 4: Ch 6, skip next ch-3 sp, *2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp**, ch 4, skp next 2 ch-3 sps, repeat from * across, ending last repat at **, ch 2, skip next ch-3 sp, tr in last st, turn.
Row 5: Ch 1, sc in first st, ch 3, skip next ch-2 sp, *(2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp, ch 3**, sc in next ch-4 sp, ch 3, repeat from * across, ending last repeat at **, sc in top of 4th ch, turn.
Rows 6-7: Repeat Rows 4-5.
Row 8: Repeat Row 2.
Row 9: Ch 1, sc in first st, skip next ch-2 sp, *ch 3, (dc, picot) 5 times (See Special Stitches) in next ch-2 sp, dc in same ch-2 sp, ch 3**, sc in next ch-4 sp, ch 3, repeat from *across, ending last repeat at **, sc in top of 4th ch. Fasten off. Weave in the ends.